Saturday, September 17, 2011

Coming soon: Book Interviews!

Friday, our Explorer's learned more about the interview process, videography, and professionalism, scholarliness, research skills, and data analysis skills. Along with our Self-Portrait Activity, we explored Spanish-speaking countries on the CIA World Factbook. As we did this, we compared population sizes, average incomes, literacy rates, and other statistics to prepare us for our word problem skills next week.

Next week, we will be using the data we gathered to explore hispanic culture more fully by creating word problems. Our problems will look something like this:

CIA Factbook41,769,726 people live in Argentina. The United States has a population of 313,232,044. How many times greater is the population of the United States than Argentina? Why do you think this is true?

Along with our math exercise, we will be creating book interviews to review the books and skills that they have been learning in Mrs. Joyner's Reading class. Elsanor Elementary has provided an excellent example for us to use as a framework. You can see their interview by clicking here. We will use this opportunity to connect with their classroom by commenting on their blog post, Interview Book Report.

I can't wait for Friday to get here! I hope you are excited too, Explorers!

6 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Amelia Bumpers and I am an EDM310 student at the University of South Alabama. I am so excited to see these book interviews that you are planning to do in the future. It seems like they are going to be really interesting. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    My name is Erwin Coleman and I am an EDM 310 student at the University of South Alabama. Using statistics of countries to use as math problems will give the children a chance to explore another country while do math and this is great for a students learning process. Also learning more about the interview process, videography, and professionalism, scholarliness, research skills, and data analysis skills is essential to have because it makes a student very well rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Explorers!
    My name is Brittany Grogan and I am also a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I am so excited for you all to start your book interviews! I know that everything y'all have been studying is going to pay off. I watched the video of Elise and Cade on Satchel Paige, it looks like y'all are going to have a great time. Wow statistics of other countries already, you will remember those statistics for the rest of your lives I promise so make sure you pay attention. I look forward to seeing all of your book interviews. Good luck!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Jeffrey Dorsey. I'm a student at the University of South Alabama. I'm currently taking Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. This post is perfect. It displays all types of academic skill with in the entire post. I am looking forward to your book interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up explorers!
    My name is Jonathan Giles and I too, am also a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama and I'm currently taking Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I know some teacher's at the schools mentioned above and it truly excites me to see how you guys are implementing useful learning techniques to your student's. I'm very curious and anxious to see how the book interviews will go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    I am Dominique Spence. I am a student in Edm 310 at USA. I commend you all and everyone involved in this project for the students. I love how the use of technology, math, and statistics are incorporated inside the classroom. The use of technology alone gives the students a real outlook on the world the way it is today. It is no make believe but real facts. Education is getting better as time goes on. Our country is progressing and with the future inside the classrooms right now we will continue towards excellence. I believe the dropout rate will decrease and the graduate rate will increase as well as the number of college graduates will increase. We must keep this up and all present and future teachers should uphold technology use inside their classrooms to carry these things out for our future.

    ReplyDelete